Re: Pointer for documentation on actually delivering IPv6

  • From: Bill Fehring
  • Date: Sun Dec 05 15:25:23 2010

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 19:52, Ben Jencks <ben@bjencks.net> wrote:
> DHCPv6-PD (prefix delegation) with the relay installing static routes
> is probably the most straightforward way.

Apparently that has it's own problems right now actually:
http://blog.ioshints.info/2010/10/dhcpv6-relaying-another-trouble-spot.html

> Letting home CPE participate
> in routing does indeed seem like bad idea; I haven't heard that
> seriously suggested before.

I guess "Comcast Business Class" cable service isn't necessarily
considered home service, but I wouldn't call it a dedicated bandwidth
contract either. The CPE that they use (SMCD3G or similar) actually
does this for v4, that is if you purchase a "Static IP Block" from
them, they actually use RIPv2 to send your prefix (usually a /27 or
longer) to the headend. Obviously authentication is used and the CPE
firmware prevents the end user from tampering with any part of the RIP
configuration, but the point is that RIP actually is used at a large
scale for this purpose.

-Bill