THE MOONSHOT COMMUNITY GRANT FUND
Merit has secured initial support to provide grant funding for broadband expansion efforts in Michigan
Oftentimes municipalities seeking to build their community networks need expert-level support during the early planning stages of their broadband journey. This support can be leveraged to assist in early broadband expansion planning efforts.
The Moonshot Community Grant Fund is intended to supplement tangible projects in pursuit of community network development, primarily in the area of data collection.
In order to apply for a Moonshot Community Grant, a community needs to have determined a Michigan-based project scope, formally prioritized broadband development efforts and possess a full Merit Membership.
Fundable single-community activities with a Moonshot Community Grant include:
Pathfinder Program – During this consultation with the Michigan Broadband Alliance and Michigan Broadband Cooperative, our experts will work with your organization to explore the breadth of planning, building and running a community network. Learn more.
1. Data Collection – The Michigan Moonshot’s citizen science approach provides open source, user driven, unbiased and accurate connectivity and resident sentiment data which can be used by local planning groups to support broadband planning efforts and grant applications.
Grant amounts of up to $10,000
2. Feasibility & Pre-Engineering – Building upon the information learned through the Data Collection process, these planning steps are needed to inform decision making related to network construction, investment and ownership models. Feasibility studies conducted through the Moonshot Marketplace will explore the viability of a community network in consideration of project scope, technological solutions and potential consumer market. Pre-Engineering efforts will determine the challenges, goals and overall direction of the project.
Grant amounts of up to $8,500 provided to communities sourcing through Moonshot Marketplace
3. Grant Consultation Services – The Grants Office, a Moonshot Marketplace vendor, works hand in hand with your community to identify suitable grant opportunities and provide guidance on the application process.
- Initial consultation
- Grant review consultation
- Full grant-writing support
Matching grants of up to $2,500 are available
4. METRO Act Consulting – The METRO Act establishes standards that Michigan municipalities must adhere to when embarking on their path toward the development of community broadband networks. Aspen Wireless, a Moonshot Marketplace vendor, specializes in guiding communities through the process of compliance.
Grant amounts are variable
Community Access Networks – Community Access Networks assist anchor institutions in extending internet coverage at their locations for their community.
This effort is supported by Merit, philanthropic organizations and private partners.
For more information on public-private community access network projects, contact [email protected].
INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR A MOONSHOT COMMUNITY GRANT OR CONTRIBUTING TO THE FUND?
Complete the form below! Your submission will be reviewed by a number of Michigan Moonshot staff and key advisors.