Re: Are botnets relevant to NANOG?

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Tue May 30 05:07:36 2006

> The motive is unclear because attacking,
> for example, root servers, is an effort without some obvious economic
> incentive

Since when is advertising NOT a sign of
an obvious economic incentive?

> The DA report went through a large thread(s) to post statistics here
> and I'm not sure why yours will be any better, or, just another set
> of statistics which further de-sensitizes everyone to the problem.

Stats by themselves can be boring. But making data
available regularly and publicly will inevitably
lead to some people doing analyses of this data and
presenting those analyses to NANOG meetings. This will
lead to wider understanding of what is going on and
will provide raw material for getting management support
for actions to solve the problem.

--Michael Dillon