Re: Geo location to IP mapping

  • From: Peter Corlett
  • Date: Tue May 16 07:21:25 2006
  • Newsgroups: newsgate.nanog

Ashe Canvar <acanvar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can any of you please recommend some IP-to-geo mapping database / web
> service ?

It's mostly dead reckoning with a thick layer of marketing on top to make it
look credible.

The 90% solution is to take the freely-available GeoIP country database and
use that. Beyond that, you're paying lots of money for information that has
a finer granularity but is arguably no more accurate.

> I would like to get resolution down to city if possible.

Good luck.

--
She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong.
								- Mae West