Re: Geo location to IP mapping

  • From: Roland Perry
  • Date: Tue May 16 07:14:16 2006

In article <OF29005D37.D3CCF6C6-ON80257170.00326AD9-80257170.0033DB6B@btradianz.com>
, Michael.Dillon@btradianz.com writes

I just tried that, says I'm 100 miles south of where I really am. That's

quite a long way out in a small country like England.
I live in London and use BT Broadband. But geolocation
shows me being in Ipswich up in East Anglia, a long
way from London. I assume this is because the geolocation
only knows that I use an IP address from a DHCP pool
managed in Ipswich.
Martlesham, probably, which has an "Ipswich" postcode.

The end result is that most of England's population lives in Ipswich.
Only BT *Retail* ADSL customers, I'm a wholesale customer via a different ISP, and a different misleading "location".
--
Roland Perry