Re: I never realized so many trains derailed until my Internetkept going out

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Sun Jan 29 20:34:30 2006

Martin Hannigan wrote:

They could've back doored the long haul, and it's possible they
did on different products. The local traffic would pop back if
they did depending upon network configuration since the FCP's
and CO's are still up and running. Think about it, if you can
make a phone call during a fiber cut, why can't you process an
IP packet? (I'm discussing layer 1. I'm waiting to see the preso
in Dallas to comment on anything higher :) )
Well, sometimes you can't make a phone call during a fiber cut.
During the Sprint outage a couple of weeks ago the first thing
we noticed were strange PSTN outages.  High-and-dry and reorder
for the most part with an occasional "circuits busy" intercept.
The cut didn't have any significant effect on IP as far as we
could tell (but we're not a Sprint customer).

Yes, agreed. You end up at reduced capacity in most cases which
would explain the reorders. What's high and dry? Dead air?

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574