Re: Odd policy question.

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Fri Jan 13 15:22:15 2006

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 08:32 -1000, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > Don't forget:
> > > www                IN             CNAME         goatse.cx
> >
> > and don't forget the terminating dot on goatse.cx.
> >
> > but this did cause me to update those trapper zone files and
> > bump the serials.  last time the serials had been bumped since
> > 1995.  so you had the suggestion of a decade.  mahalo.
> >

> Ouch.  So you are going to punish the rest of the world for the mistakes
> of a few people (however annoying it is).
>
> /me just cannot imagine explaining this to my mother when she mis-types
> some URL.

I'm not sure you realize how big this problem is. It's a nuisance
problem, like having cockroaches.

I heard something nasty about goatse.cx, but I checked www and I got:

The registrar name servers have not been configured properly

..and nothing bad. I do think it's better to put up the page
locally though.

> Granted that what your (former-) customers did was not any sort of best
> practice, but I think your "solution" is a little too extreme.

Wow. I wish I was seeing what you are seeing. Is it good?

-M<