Re: Leap second reminder - Check your NTP

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Sat Dec 31 22:17:30 2005

Once upon a time, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com> said:
> While I can't say anything broke on our network as a result of the
> leap second, a good percentage of our gear lost NTP sync or had some
> kind of NTP problem around midnight UTC. You may want to check your
> NTP status at some point, in case something drifted quite a way off
> and won't step itself back now because the difference is too great.

I watched my Tru64 5.1B and Linux 2.2-2.6 servers (NTP wasn't running on
my Solaris 9 server accidentally) and Juniper and Cisco gear, and they
all stayed in sync.  The Linux systems logged:

Dec 31 17:59:59 kosh kernel: Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC

17:59:59 lasted 2 seconds in local time (since the normal time zone data
doesn't pass through leap seconds).

I saw the following from JUNOS:

Dec 31 18:00:00  hsvrouter /kernel: microuptime() went backwards (8144133.847075 -> 8144132.881330)

Tru64 and Cisco didn't log anything.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>