Re: Clueless anti-virus products/vendors (was Re: Sober)

  • From: Edward B. Dreger
  • Date: Wed Dec 07 21:07:54 2005

DO> Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:02:51 -0800
DO> From: Douglas Otis

DO> > Hmmmm.  BATV-triggered bounces.  Virus triggers forged bounce which in
DO> > turn triggers "your DSN was misguided" bounce.  Perhaps the bandwidth
DO> > growth of the '90s will continue. ;-)
DO>
DO> BATV should not trigger any bounce as this only changes the local-part of
DO> the bounce-address (a.k.a return-path).  BATV allows quick rejection of the
DO> session when a spoof is detected before any message is exchanged.  This

I've read the spec.

DO> should alleviate your concerns about bandwidth.  It would also depreciate

I usually don't use humor-related smileys when I'm worried.

DO> this tactic and further reduce related traffic.  Being sensitive about
DO> spoofed DSNs, one would expect to hear accolades for BATV rather than
DO> berating.

Wouldn't it be nice to let people know their DSNs are misplaced?  Or
does that only apply to viruses and worms? ;-)

So much for "be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you
accept".  Yes, BATV helps block the errant DSNs.  It's just a shame that
we seem to be shifting responsibility to the recipient, treating the
symptom instead of the disease.

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/