Announcement Propagation Delay in BGP

  • From: Scott Weeks
  • Date: Fri Aug 19 16:43:53 2005

I am going to be announcing two new prefixs into BGP soon
and the netgeek in me is very curious as to the length of
time it takes to show up in other parts of the world that're
logically far from Hawaii.  Instead of going to
www.traceroute.org and refreshing repeatedly, I thought
folks here might've created a tool to do just that.  Or,
perhaps, someone else has stats on a test they ran in the
past.

Anyone got any tools or suggestions on how to measure this
just for fun and not as a scientific study?  I plan to read
the beacon paper "sahara.cs.berkeley.edu/papers/MMRB03b.pdf"
but I believe this mostly looked at how long-period flaps (2
hours) were still punished.  Any other pointers?

Thanks,
scott