Re: /8 end user assignment?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Fri Aug 05 02:56:40 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, David Conrad wrote:

If you can justify a /8, ARIN will allocate one to you (not that I speak for ARIN or anything, but that's how things work). Presumably Softbank BB justified the /8 APNIC allocated to them.
I don't know about APNIC, but ARIN's rules are generally structured to make justification of a /8 all but impossible. I suspect this is actually a typo or misreading of some sort.
The business of the rir's is providing ip addresses to their members. if withholding the remaining address space became more important than supporting the needs of the community of interest, then they've obviously failed their membership.

jms

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu