Re: Battery Maint in LEC equipment

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Sat Jun 04 14:10:48 2005

Once upon a time, David Lesher <wb8foz@nrk.com> said:
> Have any NANOG'ers [NANOGites? NANOGees?] run into this? Again, this
> is LEC owned, LEC maintained, equipment....Do you provide generator
> power for such in your space?

We do provide generator power in our space to the telcos.  BellSouth has
a big (pre-existing) battery bank, but KMC didn't install batteries
(there wasn't much point; if our UPS and generator fail, there's nothing
for them to provide service to).

In this area, I believe that BellSouth uses natural gas powered
generators, as many of the remote cabinets (installed in the last 5-7
years or so anyway) have a gas meter next to them and a line running
into a second cabinet (generator/power supply I suppose).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>