Re: More on Vonage service disruptions...

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Mar 03 06:25:54 2005

> To diverge from VoIP, an interesting situation will present itself
> in the future.  Verizon is installing FTTH.  Data offerings
> in their present service area are: 5, 15, and 30Mbps downstream.
> http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp
> These speeds would support broadcast quality video delivery
> (even HD quality)  if properly implemented.

I was walking down Tottenham Court Road at the weekend looking
in the shop windows. More than one of them had a 1 terabyte
hard drive on display made by LaCie. Combine that with
multiMbps FTTH and P2P networks and you have a lot of big
pipes running flat out 24x7. Back when MP3 filesharing was
all the rage it didn't take long for the market to saturate,
i.e. people had so many MP3s on their hard drive that there
was no need to keep collecting. Imagine what happens when the
same effect hits the film/DVD industry.

--Michael Dillon