Re: AOL scomp

  • From: Jim Segrave
  • Date: Wed Mar 02 05:49:53 2005

On Tue 01 Mar 2005 (22:36 -0500), Joe Maimon wrote:

> Barry Shein wrote:
> >
> >On March 1, 2005 at 14:17 jes@nl.demon.net (Jim Segrave) wrote:
> > > I don't understand this complaint - we process AOL TOS Notifications
> > > daily and I find perhaps 1 in a hundred or so are not valid complaints.
> >
> >Here about 99% are not valid or interesting.
> >
> >Which is to say, I had one small burst once caused by an infected
> >customer machine which we got shut off fast and fixed.
> >
> >The rest are virtually all just people on mailing lists hosted here
> >sending each and every completely on-topic posting to TOS.
> >
> >I suppose I should figure out some way to track them so I can boot
> >them off those lists since AOL removes all identifying information.
> >

> Apparently the ratio of valid/invalid AOL notifications is a usefull
> indicator on the cleanliness of the relevant network.

Or alternatively, some networks have few users who communicate with
AOL customers - they aren't currently big-time in the Netherlands -
and the ratio of valid to invalid complaints has sweet FA to do with
anything else. We don't set up mail forwarding for residential
customers so that's another non-issue.

--
Jim Segrave           jes@nl.demon.net