Re: Regarding registrar LOCK for panix.com

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Jan 20 08:21:08 2005

> And not to forget that Panix was the 1st victim ever of a SYN attack in
> Sept 1996:
> http://www.panix.com/press/synattack.html
> http://www.panix.com/press/synattack2.html

And due to coordinated action between members of the
NANOG mailing list and the FIREWALLS mailing list,
within 24 hours, there were patches made available for
Linux and various BSD kernels that mitigated these
attacks.

This type of an event shows the real power of the NANOG
mailing list to communicate in a crisis. If only we could
extend this communication to other media (INOC-DBA) and
to include representatives of more network operators.

I hope that the NANOG reform discussion spends a good
bit of its time on articulating a vision for the future
of a membership-based NANOG organization, and not worry
so much about past problems.

--Michael Dillon