Re: [eweek article] Window of "anonymity" when domain exists, whoisnot updated yet

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Jan 12 13:54:54 2005

--On Wednesday, January 12, 2005 4:11 PM +0000 Michael.Dillon@radianz.com wrote:

Right now I have freedom of communication.  In your vision I would hand
all that over to my ISP for the benefit of giving complete control over
who can communicate with me to them.
Perhaps you could explain to me just how you
currently manage to get port 25 packets delivered
to your friends without transitting your ISP?
Or did you just mean "freedom of communication"
in a rhetorical sense?

Yes, my port 25 packets go through my ISP.  However, TLS means that none
of the SMTP conversation between my mailserver and my friends mailserver
is visible to my ISP in an unencrypted form.  Your system would require
me to expose at least the envelope information to my ISP.  Do you see
the difference here?

And if you will trust an ISP to deliver port 25
packets then why wouldn't you trust them to
deliver email messages?

I don't trust them to deliver port 25 packets.  I expect them to deliver
port 25 packets.  Then, I authenticate the system at the other end using
TLS and have an encrypted coversation.  My ISP can see that there's
encrypted data going through their network between our servers, but,
they (at least theoretically) can't see what that data is.

Owen