Re: Redirecting mail (Re: Throttling mail)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Mar 25 15:09:28 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:51:13 CST, you said:
> of abusive mail. After all, it does take time to read and act upon abuse
> reports. By forcing smtp through a specific server at least some proactive
> measures are possible such as throttling abusive behaviour.

Forcing it through a server doesn't automagically add the ability to throttle
abusive behavior.  It's merely the obvious sledgehammer fix.

Now consider a router that's instrumented to collect flow data, feeding a
real-time system that throttles the port if something abusive happens.  You get
the same benefits of not having to read and act on abuse reports, plus you
don't break non-abusive uses of the network.

(And yes, we consider that a primary tool - we got lots of "your user has Witty"
e-mails, and *every single one* we already knew about because we'd pulled the
flow data and done the obvious things....)