Re: Personal Co-location Registry

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Sat Mar 20 07:50:10 2004

John Todd <jtodd@loligo.com> writes:

>    While I do prefer a "real" serial LOM kit (i.e.: Sun Microsystems)
>    RealWeasel is too expensive (even with the hypothetical NANOG
> discount) though extremely nice.  As previously mentioned, I can
> purchase an entire system with serial console built in for that price.
> If I had a vendor-specific piece of equipment that simply did not do
> the Right Thing but was tied to a particular motherboard, then I'd
> consider a RealWeasel.

Weasel, like the sun implementation, allows remote reboot of wedged
machines.  This is key, particularly when running on an Intel platform
<cough>.  If there are any PC serial console implementations that
allow one to do this, I'd like to hear about it, since I'm not aware
of such.  Buying a serial console server *plus* a power cycler fills
my heart with hatred.

                                        ---Rob