Re: Did Sean Gorman's maps show the cascading vulnerability in Ohio?

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Mon Aug 18 11:53:51 2003

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:15:02 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Scott McGrath <mcgrath@fas.harvard.edu>
> Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
>

> Information should be free.  This however assumes that people will be
> _responsible_ for what is done with the information.
>
> On Manuel and Jose - with a valid permit number they get the information
> if Bubba and Joe do not have a _valid_ permit number they do not get the
> information because in the absence of legitimate need for this information
> they probably should not have it

This does not at all match reality. People don't have to have a permit
to need to call USA (Call before you dig where I live.) Many things
not requiring a permit do require calling USA before digging. I just
tell them that I am digging at a location and they tell me if it's OK
and if anything is near-by.

I've been told to call for any dig deeper than 1 foot. Planting a tree
does not require a permit, but the hole is plenty deep enough to be a
problem!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)