Availability of Natural Gas during Blackout

  • From: Randy Neals (ORION)
  • Date: Sun Aug 17 10:55:21 2003

Some weeks back there was a dicussion on the merits of naural gas versus
diesel generators.

It is my observation that Natural Gas continued to be available throught
this recent blackout.
In speaking to a friend who works for the gas company he informed me that
the compressor stations on the main pipelines are driven by gas turbines,
thus they don't require electrical power to operate.
All telemetering/control equipment on the distribution network is either
passive, or equipped with natural gas generators to ensure it operates.

Did others notice if there was a gas interuption in your area during the
blackout ?
(A lot of people here were cooking on their Nat. gas bbque here)

This was an exceptionally long blackout, did people have trouble getting
diesel fuel replenished?
Fuel trucks where no doubt having difficulty with traffic congestion due to
traffic lights not working.

Regards,
Randy