Re: East Coast outage?

  • From: Rich Casto
  • Date: Fri Aug 15 15:58:10 2003

> I wonder how much of the understanding and "100 years experience" of
> building power distribution networks is based on the fact that
> affordable, distributed, small-scale power generation is not possible,
> mandating large-scale, centralised generation and correspondingly
> complicated transmission. Perhaps the power generation problem needs
> the attention of a fresh set of eyes.

You wrote "fact" when you should have written "assumption". There are
plenty of examples* of "affordable, distributed, small-scale power
generation." If our governments would more pro-actively encourage (e.g.
subsidize) local power generation via renewable energy sources (e.g.
solar, wind, hydro) it would go a long way towards solving this problem.

* examples:
http://www.solarhost.com/about.htm
http://www.solarliving.org/overview.cfm

Rich