Re: Microsoft to ship new versions with firewall enabled

  • From: Bill Owens
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 15:06:43 2003

At 10:29 -0400 8/14/03, Sean Donelan wrote:
John Markoff reports in the New York Times that Microsoft plans to change
how it ships Windows XP due to the worm.  In the future Microsoft will
ship both business and consumer verisons of Windows XP with the included
firewall enabled by default.
Not being an XP user I haven't confirmed this personally, but I'm told that when an XP box with the latest updates/packs/whatever has IPv6 turned on, the included IPv6 "firewall" is automatically enabled with all inbound connections blocked. Apparently this change was made when they started including the p2p kit. I did recently see a case where an XP machine refused to answer IPv6 pings, and suspect that this was behind it. . .

Bill.