RE: Microsoft to ship new versions with firewall enabled

  • From: Drew Weaver
  • Date: Thu Aug 14 13:15:01 2003

> John Neiberger wrote:
> >
> > Hmm...I didn't even know XP had a built-in firewall.  Any bets on how
> > long it is before other companies with software firewall products bring
> > suit against Microsoft for bundling a firewall in the OS?
> > --
>
> No clue, but I can tell you how long it will last before ISP helpdesks
> disable the firewall.

About 30 seconds, for my customers.  In fact, when you configure a dialup
connection, the firewall *is* enabled by default, until walk them through
turning it off?  Why?  Because after anywhere from 2 days to 2 months,
suddenly things just stop working...usually POP3, but often SMTP, HTTP or
HTTPS.  Like many things MS, it's broken.

---

Is that what causes the random stoppage? I never thought of that, why would
it prevent outgoing connections on only some ports though. Seems fishy,
thanks for the tip though :-)

BTW: I've seen this too.
-Drew