User security or ISP security (was RE: has anyone notice this ?)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Jun 30 03:52:42 2003

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> The rogue proxy servers are apparently a man-in-the-middle password sniffer
> of some type affecting at a minimum HTTP and SSH.
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/19/2325235&mode=thread&tid=126

I'm not going to defend ISP security practices. However as the slashdot
thread showed, as bad as people think ISP security is, most of the time
the problem is not with the ISP.

It appears nothing was wrong with Charter's systems. The user's machine
was infected by a spybot hijacking the user's name queries.