Re: Spammers use Trojans

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Jun 16 01:49:59 2003

RT> Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:27:23 -0500 (CDT)
RT> From: Rob Thomas

RT> ] I don't know what proof MessageLabs has, but they report
RT> ] that spammers are breaking into home PCs of unsuspecting

s/home/home, business, colo, and most any other/

RT> ] users to send junk mail.
RT>
RT> What proof?  Old proof.  :)  There are numerous bots,
RT> including the now venerable SDbot, that have this capability.
RT> This doesn't count the plethora of other malware that can
RT> also forward spam.

...and not only spam, but Joe job spam.  Those of us at the edge
have heard "why am I getting bounces for mail I didn't send?" a
time or two. :-(

MessageLabs just now realized this?  AFAIK, this and open proxies
are pretty much _the_ standard vectors nowadays for spamming.
Has ML also "discovered" it's pretty much up to service providers
to combat this, and that it is far from the most pressing issue
law enforcement has on their proverbial plates?

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national