Re: Odd DNS responses for www.neopets.com

  • From: Alex Lambert
  • Date: Wed Feb 05 20:10:08 2003

> Maybe it's just me, but isn't there something odd about a DNS query
> coming back with 78 entries for the same host?  It sends back an UDP
> packet that gets truncated and the DNS resolver reverts to TCP to get
> the full list.

This is often used for server pools (as I'm guessing you know).

> It seems to cause problems with Windows clients and/or Windows DNS
> servers.  Seems like overkill.

The 78 addresses listed here are all in one bit of a /24. In the cases I've
seen, there are a few servers listed in several different locations,
network- (and location-) wise. I agree that this looks really weird. Perhaps
they use it as a cheap load balancer?

Cheers,

Alex Lambert
alambert@quickfire.org