Re: Bell Labs or Microsoft security?

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Wed Jan 29 18:28:38 2003

ML> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:58:58 -0800
ML> From: Mathew Lodge

ML> No, it isn't, as is doing buf_t[x] rather than pointer

True.  I just like having a struct so I may pass a single
variable in function calls instead of a whole mess of them.

ML> arithmetic, but the *practical* problem is that you really
ML> need
ML>
ML> 1,$s/compiler/programmer/
ML>
ML> :-)
ML>
ML> In other words, there are far fewer compilers, interpreters,
ML> Java Virtual Machines, libraries etc. in use than there are
ML> programmers using them. So working the tools angle gives you
ML> leverage across far more programmers and the programs they
ML> create.

Yes, although there's a certain level of "bare minimum clue"
required, no matter what the tools.  On comp.programming,
someone recently asked if they could write C++ programs in VB
6.0.  Ummmm.... my guess is they'd make a rotten C++ programmer.
Hopefully it was a joe job or silliness, and not a bona fide
question.

Is it unreasonable to ask that programmers not assume memory is
initialized, to check bounds as needed, and to realize that
operations are NOT atomic without special protection[*]?  I
don't think so.  Sure, it's extra work; put it in a library.

[*] Special protection that, for obvious reasons, is unavailable
    in userland.  Hence fstat(2), fchown(2), fchdir(2), etc for
    fs operations.

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national