RE: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Mon Jan 20 00:27:51 2003

> What incentive does the end-user have to use secure systems?  Should
> Microsoft, Sun, Sendmail Inc or ISC be required to send a technician out
> to fix every defective system they released?  Why should the ISP be held
> accountable for the defects created by others?  Car makers have to fix
> defective cars, not the highway department.

Without jumping into this discussion, I would like to make the point that if
a car on the highway drops something... a pebble. a window. tacks. or any
other item on the highway that is potentially hazardous or inconvenient to
others who want to use that highway... the car manufacturer doesn't come
out, the highway department does.

As long as the car _moves_ under its own power across the highway, its
essentially not the car manufacturers' (or the consumers') immediate
concern.

Deepak Jain
AiNET