Re: fast ethernet limits

  • From: Douglas A. Dever
  • Date: Fri Jan 10 16:06:12 2003

Previously, Steve Rude (steve@rudedogg.com) wrote:

> Hi NANOG,
>
> Could someone please help me with a fast ethernet problem I am having.  We
> have a POP in a 27 floor building, and have a rj45 run from the the bottom
> of the building (in the telco room) to the top of the building.  We have
> cisco switches on either end and we are seeing about 5-20% packet loss on
> the trunk.
>
> Are we running into a distance limitation of fast ethernet, or are we suffering
> from another problem?  I read that 328 feet is the limitation of fast
> ethernet. Is there anything short of getting a repeater for the cable run
> that I can do to boost the signal?

Well, when I don't have drawings or prints, I usually figure on 12 or 13ft
per floor.  So, figure somewhere between 324 and 351 feet from 1st floor
to the ceiling on 27.  For a run like this, you probably wanted to use fiber
with media converters on each end.  (Assuming you're not running
switches with 100BaseFX ports or a GBIC slot...)

--
Douglas A. Dever  doug@e-xpedient.com
216.373.8517 - DID