Re: AOL & Cogent

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Dec 30 14:25:37 2002

JSW> Date: 30 Dec 2002 13:59:40 -0500
JSW> From: Jeff S Wheeler

JSW> So the obvious solution is to prepend your advertisements
JSW> toward cogent, which will cause them to carry less of your
JSW> inbound traffic.

...although the exact effects depend on your particular mix of
upstreams.  LOCAL_PREF trumps AS_PATH...

I severely de-pref long paths, thus [hopefully] giving those who
prepend their desired result.  A side benefit is this often
catches long-pathed improper redistributions.  I know I'm not
alone in this.  And one usually can adjust LOCAL_PREF via
community advertised to an upstream.

IOW: YMMV (YMWV if using no more than prepends)

Eddy
--
Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence and [inter]national