Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 10:14:35 2002

--On Monday, December 9, 2002 10:04 -0500 Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org> wrote:

Point is, end users don't deal with IANA.  They deal with the
registries and for those in North America (this is nanog, isn't
it) ARIN is it.  As the communities desigated represenative to
interface with IANA, I feel it is ARIN's duty to collect and
distribute information from IANA.
That is a good point, but you are talking about a periodic notification when new blocks are allocated. Michael is talking about an automated feed of all unallocated blocks. If we were to invert this and say that ARIN will provide a list of all blocks that are allocated to it, then that might be worth doing. Then each RIR could provide its own list and we don't run into the issues of a registry listing objects that it does not control.

However, I get back to my original question. For people who insist on filtering unallocated address space, is it too much to ask that they either subscribe to NANOG, or potentially subscribe to an RIR-specific announce-only mailing list for such things? It seems really silly to me for the registries to spew a mailing to their entire contact database just to reach a handful of people who actually do route filtering.

It does seem to me that this problem should have a really simple solution.

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson -- ahp@hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer