Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 09:32:41 2002

--On Monday, December 9, 2002 9:52 +0000 Michael.Dillon@radianz.com wrote:

Clearly you haven't been following the ppml mailing list. As I have
already suggested on that list, ARIN could publish an authoritative
directory of all unallocated IP address space at the largest aggregate
level in a form that makes it easy for network operators to incorporate
into their martian filters.
I have been following it quite closely, actually.

Why would ARIN specifically provide such a list? ARIN is not responsible for the unallocated space, and there is more in the world than just ARIN. There are liability issues with that, not to mention the fact that it is more an IANA function (if for the sake of argument someone would implement the list).

And no, I'm not suggested that anyone connect their productions routers
directly to an ARIN BGP feed. Smaller network operators will probably
find  such a direct BGP feed to be convenient but I expect all the larger
network operators to use the BGP feed as a way of monitoring for changes
which would be reviewed by some clueful operator before building the
filters. That should not be a problem assuming that ARIN issues addresses
every weekday.
I guess monitoring NANOG or some other mailing list for announcements is somehow a lot more work. Oh well.

Alec

-
Alec H. Peterson -- ahp@hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer