Re: IP over in-ground cable applications.

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Thu Sep 12 15:13:19 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:04:35PM -0400, Deepak Jain mooed:

> You would need multicast speakers (routers, etc) along the cable route to
> effectively multiple your bandwidth at all. Since cable is already
> multicasting (1 stream to many/all) I don't think I see any advantage.
>
> Unless, of course, you expect cable customers to be broadcasting to other
> cable customers (say their own home video content)... Then MPEG2 Multicast
> would be your friend.

 I don't think the answer is as simple as that.  It really depends
on the number of subscribers per last-hop multicast box, and on
the number of channels you offer / popularity distribution of
the channels.

  If you've got 5 channels and 10,000 subscribers per box,
multicast saves you nothing.  If you've got 1000 channels and
100 subscribers per box, ...

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com