RE: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

  • From: Robert Blayzor
  • Date: Wed Aug 21 19:16:07 2002

> Uh, no.  I have seen spammers use dynamic DNS to use throw
> away dial-ups accounts for incoming main service.

Right, but to run a "real mail server" you need a static address.  Which
can be registered as a valid mail server.  Dynamic IP's cannot.

> How about moving this to an approriate forum where people
> really know spam and mail?  Nanog is for moving packets.
> Nanog does not usually care what is in the packet unless it
> is a routing protocol.

"The NANOG mailing list is established to provide a forum for the
exchange of technical information and the discussion of specific
implementation issues that require cooperation among network service
providers. In order to continue to provide a useful forum for discussion
of relevant technical issues, the list is governed by the following
guidelines: "

Doesn't mention anything about "Nanog is for moving packets".  An
anti-spam/security discussion seems perfectly acceptable to me.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Exclusive: We're the only ones who have the documentation.