Cable as Common Carrier (was Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?)

  • From: Robert A. Hayden
  • Date: Wed Jun 19 15:44:24 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I think that requirement still stands in Canada, but until newer
> standards-compliant cable modems become more common it's "hard" to do
> and so nobody's doing it yet (and there is some whining on both sides).

Our local cable provider pitched an MPLS-based VPN service to us
yesterday.  Basicly, they would group, by the MAC of the DOCSIS-compliant
cable modem, our remote users into a common Layer-2 bucket and tunnel them
directly to us, where we would handle DHCP handouts for the PCs and
routing.

Of course, they then told it it was probably a year away and our interest
sagged significantly.