Re: Yahoo Hacked?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Tue Mar 19 21:03:48 2002

I saw signifigant DNS server load issues on all our DNS servers this
evening beginning around that same time.  It looked as if either yahoo.com
had an accident with their DNS or someone did some cache poisoning.  We
were passing out SERVFAIL to anyone looking up pretty much
anything.yahoo.com...and there were lots of *.yahoo.com queries going on.

No...I don't think it has anything to do with vanity NS records as
below...but I was considering posting about the DNS issue anyway.

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, David McGaugh wrote:

> Maybe it has nothing to do with it then, but No one saw a significant
> decrease in traffic with Yahoo between 17:00 PST and 17:15 PST?
>
> David McGaugh wrote:
> >
> > whois -h whois.internic.net yahoo.com
> >
> > Whois Server Version 1.3
> >
> > Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> > with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> > for detailed information.
> >
> > YAHOO.COM.REALLY.NEEDS.TO.GET.A.CLUE.AT.JIMPHILLIPS.ORG
> > YAHOO.COM.IS.TRYING.TO.STEAL.YAHOO.VU.HOW.ACIDULOUS.COM
> > YAHOO.COM.IS.NOT.CANADIAN.ORG
> > YAHOO.COM.BR
> > YAHOO.COM.AND.SAFESEARCH.COM.AINT.NOTHING.COMPARED.TO.SHEEPSTER.COM
> > YAHOO.COM.AINT.NOTHIN.COMPARED.TO.SAFESEARCH.COM
> > YAHOO.COM
> >
> > To single out one record, look it up with "xxx", where xxx is one of the
> > of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them
> > up
> > with "=xxx" to receive a full display for each record.

> > The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
> > Registrars.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |