Re: BT monopoly causes widespread network failure

  • From: Rodney Thayer
  • Date: Wed Nov 21 19:42:45 2001

At 06:19 PM 11/21/2001 -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
Yes.  But I'm more interested in how a provider manages to wipe
out their entire national network.  That takes talent.

I'm sure BT has some clever network engineers, and they could have
done it to themselves.  On the other hand, BT uses the exact same
equipment as US providers and other providers around the world.
Is there some latent defect in the vendor gear we all use?
Or arrogance.  There seem to be a lot of allegedly clueful service
providers out there that have single points of failure, lack of
genetic diversity, insufficient resources assigned to allegedly
mission-critical facilities, etc.etc.

Notice for example there doesn't seem to be anyone from BT
speaking here...  I assume, given the usual suspects that
graciously ignore the NA in NANOG, that nothing relevant has
been posted on UK/European lists...