The MSN Messenger

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Jul 07 00:20:36 2001

Since it is always difficult to predict how long it will take
to fix a problem, the question for the PR people always is:

   Do you say as little as possible, hoping it will be over soon?

The problem with this strategy is if your problem continues for a long
time, you look incenitive or even incompetant.

   Do you confirm you have a problem, and provide customer updates?

The problem with this strategy is you draw attention to minor issues,
which few people would have noticed otherwise.

After four days, Microsoft finally added a statement to their MSN
Messenger web site.  I guess Microsoft's PR people decided they
couldn't make things worse at this point.