Re: Peering Breakeven Analysis White Paper

  • From: PETER JANSEN
  • Date: Thu Jun 28 16:35:42 2001

Bill:

    I would be very interested reading and commenting on your peering
paper.

Best regards

Peter Jansen
Senior Manager, Global Peering
Cable & Wireless Global
e-mail: peter.jansen@cw.net

Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: "William B. Norton" <wbn@equinix.com>
To: nanog@merit.edu
CC: wbn@equinix.com
Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu
Subject: Peering Breakeven Analysis White Paper

Hi all -

After about 6 months, I've finally finished a presentable draft of a
community white paper I'd like to share with a handful of interested folks.

The draft is titled "The Peering Breakeven Analysis Graph: An ISP Peering
Cost Savings Analysis" and finishes up the research I've done with the
Peering Coordinator Community. It complements the "Internet Service
Providers and Peering" white paper that I know many of you have read and
focuses on its business case for peering that Bill St. Arnaud cited at a NANOG.

Here is the Abstract:
--------------------------------
During the recent economic turmoil, Internet Service Providers are looking
for ways to reduce their costs of providing Internet services. Chief among
their costs are telecommunications costs, the cost of getting traffic to
the other networks of the Internet.

Discussions with ISP Peering Coordinators identified Internet Service
Provider (ISP) "Peering" as one of the most effective methods of reducing
telecommunications costs for ISPs. The ISP Peering Coordinator's job is to
establish and effectively manage this interconnection between ISPs. Goals
include maximizing efficiency and minimizing costs of interconnect costs.
As demonstrated in the "Internet Service Providers and Peering " earlier
work, the job requires a rare combination of technical and business acumen
with good people and negotiating skills.

This paper introduces the ISP Peering Coordinators terminology and the
tools and analysis typically used. We demonstrate these with a specific
implementation and generalize them in the form "Peering Break Even Analysis
Graph". This is the business case for Internet Service Provider peering
based on current practices and market prices.
If you can help and have the inclination to read it (it is only six pages)
and comment, please send me e-mail: wbn@equinix.com

Thanks -

Bill

William B. Norton   Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison      Equinix
wbn@equinix.com                         650.315.8635