Re: non-op (Re: Definition of Tier-1)

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jun 11 14:52:34 2001

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 09:46:05AM -0400, Travis Pugh wrote:

> The part that really drives me crazy is that nobody seems to have
> played the "tier 2 and proud" card from a marketing standpoint.  I can
> think of a few reasons why I'd rather not be transit free right now,
> and could probably successfully pitch those reasons to customers if I
> wanted to change careers.

InterNAP.

Personally I think the whole "tier 1" craze is overrated. I'd rather have
multiple good paths to my destination, and the ability to divert traffic
elsewhere in the event of a problem. It can cost a lot of time and money
to get all the peering you need in all locations (or at least enough to
keep from bouncing traffic across the country because thats where your
peer is, or thats where your private peer is, etc). Then again it does
solve the problem of path selection by making it a non-issue, there is
only one path.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras