Re: POS OC48 interfaces using different wave length

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Fri Jun 08 03:02:45 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, John Fraizer wrote:

> Attenuation has nothing to do with the reason the two cards won't work
> together.  Think of the cards as color blind.  They can only see ONE
> color.  They ignore all other colors.

Have you actually tried this? I have personally gotten linkups between
1310 and 1550 GBICs. Just as someone said here before, the receivers are
very wide-band.

> 1550nm and 1310nm are different colors.

Yes, but if your receiver picks up photons in a range from (just guessing)
1200 to 1700nm light, it doesn't matter.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se