RE: C&W Network

  • From: Walters
  • Date: Fri Jun 08 00:46:22 2001

Migrating off the old MCI backbone is a GOOD thing.
(CWIX? BIP?)

My old shop was with MCI before C&W bought the ip
backbone.  We were a small downstream (the ol' static route, /30,
T1, with a few /24's to feed the masses.)

As far as engineering and support issues go, C&W was top notch.
(Router tweaks, security suggestions, etc.)

Sales and marketing... not so top notch...
(Tip for you account managers lurking out there; unannounced
Word or PowerPt email attachments do NOT impress clients.)

The new network is real, they've been building it out for
quite some time now.  They're probably going to cut you
over to one of their "N3" nodes.  However, in this age of
wireless, DSL, and cable modems, a T1 to an upstream's
backbone may not make much sense anymore.

-bradly