Re: 95th Percentile != Lame

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Sun Jun 03 23:35:56 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 08:16:28PM -0700, James Thomason wrote:

> This is very true.  You have also in this example, defined your basis
> of cost and could effectively say "Today, every bit that crosses my
> network costs me X".  This is a hard, quantified and total cost that
> includes all of your provisioned capacity.

Also, 95th percentile does not take into account peak hours for its
pricing. You could push your peak traffic at off-peak hours and still be
billed a very high amount. A more sensible system would be a different
price for on-peak times.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras