Re: 95th Percentile again (was RE: C&W Peering Problem?)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Sat Jun 02 19:46:43 2001

> Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:28:52 -0400
> From: Timothy Brown <tcb@ga.prestige.net>
>
> As an interesting aside to this discussion, Digital Island bills for
> total traffic transmitted per month (in GB increments).   Does anyone
> using them have any comments on this approach besides the obvious?  Does
> anyone else do a similar deal?

I only care to mention the obvious... this is essentially the same type of
billing as average-use total traffic billing.  Total traffic in + out,
just not divided by number of days in a month. :-)

I can't recall names, but I believe that several colo shops (space +
bandwidth, not carrier-neutral, a la Exodus) do this.

IMHO, 95th percentile has its drawbacks.  Sure, one can charge more for
"peaky" customers than with average-use billing, but that can backfire in
extreme cases:  Recall when the Starr Report was released... 5% of a month
is 1.5 days, so the heavy traffic during that time was simply "above the
cutoff".

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc.
EverQuick Internet Division