Re: Mbone access

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Mon Mar 26 22:50:33 2001

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:31:53PM -0500, Eddie Parra wrote:

> Anyone,
>
> I am not very familiar with Multicasting technologies, but how can I get
> access to the Mbone?  My DSL provider does not allow Mbone access.  Is there
> anyway I can get a DVMRP tunnel to my Cisco 2611 router at home from
> someone?  I have a static IP.  Please let me know!  Thanks!

	Nobody should be giving out new dvmrp tunnels these days
to any sort of peers.  It would be nice if people were unable
to configure dvmrp anymore.. but that's another topic.

	What you want is a pim sparse-mode tunnel from someone, or
your DSL provider to support multicast.

	There needs to be some education out there that multicast
is not bandwidth consuming.  People have this idea in their head
from the "dvmrp" days that having multicast will use 10M+ of
bandwidth to have multicast.  This is just *not the case*.

	- Jared