Re: Statements against new.net?

  • From: Havard Eidnes
  • Date: Tue Mar 13 20:25:18 2001

> > I fail to see how RFC2826 is in any way "political".  Upon
> > careful re-reading it boils down to:
> >
> > If you use one root, everybody agrees what things look like.
> >
> > If you use multiple roots, what people will see depends on
> > which root they ask.
> >
> > How is this political?
>
> It becomes political when it goes beyond those two statements
> and says "Since these two statements are true, everyone should
> use one root."

I disagree.  If you accept the premise of the RFC, which is that
the goal is to be able to communicate effectively, then this is a
natural consequence of the first two statements, as explained in
the RFC.

> It becomes completely political when it expands that to
> encompass the concept of "ICANN root is the one true root.
> Thou shall have no other root before me."

Chapter and verse, please.  You must be reading something I don't; I
can't find any statements in there which says this.

Regards,

- Håvard