Re: reverse Traceroute

  • From: James R Grinter
  • Date: Tue Feb 27 21:08:43 2001

<mdevney@teamsphere.com> writes:
> And I have a feeling lots of people have the same problems I do with
> letting someone else make money off my resources.

The idea of 'traceloop' reminds me of what can be done with the
Ganymede (now NetIQ) Performance Endpoints as used by Chariot,
Pegasus, et al. They have a freebie Qcheck tool (Windows only, for the
gui, alas) which can do a traceroute from anything running its agent.

  http://www.netiq.com/downloads/products/Performance_Endpoints/default.asp
  http://www.netiq.com/products/Network_Performance/Qcheck.asp

Binary distribution only, no docs on the protocol (that I know of) but
you can deploy it on your own systems, limit access, and generally
control what it is allowed to do ('cept for any bugs that might be therein.)

Just thought I'd mention it.

(Sadly the Qcheck GUI is Windows only, and NetIQ do ask for 'personal'
details when you download it, but you can't have everything - just
don't put in anyone's who might be susceptible to a sales pitch!)

James.
(no connection or affiliation with NetIQ)