Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Tue Aug 22 01:20:33 2000

Chris Adams wrote:

> As for ORBS: I have had several customers with open relays lately (which
> they've shut as soon as we notified them).  A couple of them used our
> primary mail server as a smarthost, so ORBS listed it as well.  In each
> case, ORBS failed to notify us of the listing at all.  We only found out
> when our customers had mail blocked at servers using ORBS.

I got notified when ORBS found one of the servers under my care to be
open.

Ah. Here's the copy of the notification that I got. They send to
postmaster@Second.Level.Domain and
postmaster@Hostname.Of.The.Mail.Server.
That.Is.Found.To.Be.Open[0]. Question is, is someone answering
postmaster@Your.Customers.Domains.And.Your.Own.Domains?

[0] My particular problem was with auth2.acclink.com. The notification
went to postmaster@acclink.com and postmaster@auth2.acclink.com. I
believe ORBS uses rDNS to get the hostname of the mail server, but
you'd have to ask Alan Brown to be sure.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH
http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net