Re: Cooked journalism

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Wed Apr 05 15:41:22 2000

At 10:23 AM 4/5/00 -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Anyway -- that experience gave me a strong dislike for any arbitrary attempt
to define a "real" journalist.  A journalist is as a journalist does -- and,
whether you like the story or not, or like Cook or not, his decision to
publish was completely in accord with the standards of his profession.
Steve, et al,

There are two different debates, here.

One is about the term "journalist" or, perhaps, "reporter. There is nothing particularly productive about pursuing that debate.

The separate issue has to do with professionalism in the handling of Exodus' publicity statement.

Simply re-printing the release and then asking challenging questions about PSI does NOT conform to professional journalism ethics. Not by a very, very long shot.

I cited examples of requirements that professional journalism ethics impose, in my previous note.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253, Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA