RE: whois broke again?

  • From: Larry Snyder
  • Date: Mon Feb 21 20:02:00 2000

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer@mhsc.com> wrote:

> >Behalf Of Sean Donelan
> > Sent: Monday, February 21, 2000 1:22 PM
> >
> > On Mon, 21 February 2000, bmanning@vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > > Yes there are interesting scoping issues.  Yes there are concerns wrt
> > > evil people and tolerent applications. But this tactic clearly puts the
> > > onus on the people in control of the useage, not some
> > centralized repository.
> >
> > That sounds great, except the time when WHOIS is most important is when
> > the contact has totally screwed up their site and can't be reached by any
> > in-band network.  The nice thing about WHOIS is it tends to be out-of-band
> > with respect to most screw-ups.  The notable exception is when
> > NSI screws-up.
> >
> > The open question is why can RIPE get people to put good data in
> > their database,
> > and NSI can't manage to keep the little correct data they have
> > uncorrupted?
>
> Because RIPE actually cares?
>
> All of the RIPE registries are enjoined to keep the data pure and RIPE
> checks it. NSI, OTOH, doesn't find out about bad contact data until the bill
> is due for payment. However, it is almost invariably true that the Billing
> Contact info is accurate. Ergo, they may not even find out at the next
> billing cycle (two-years, for the first cycle and annualy after that).
>
> RIPE actually ENFORCES data integrity.

I can attest to this personally.  It took about two weeks of constant
coordination to get our DNS provider authoritative for a .de domain.
It was in the end successful, but the process those folks follow is
impressive.  They are VERY thorough (to the point of checking the
ttl and rejecting the change if it falls outside their guidelines).
Very thorough...and that's not a bad thing!
-ls-